Kristofer.bergstrom's Kmail Konundrum

On 27 May 2001 kristofer.bergstrom@example.com wrote:

>   In case it's of any help, I seem to be having a similar problem on
> both of my Redhat 7.1 boxes.  I've been trying to use kmail, but it
> will only check and send mail when run from root.  When run as
> non-root, it will say it's trying to get mail but never actually do so.
> Whatever that script is, the permissions must be off.
> Would this have anything to do with the fact that only half of my
> mails reach their final destination?

  Hi Kris,

  For what's it's worth, your problem sounds quite similar to a different
problem I have been having since migrating to RH7.1.  I use little shell
scripts to check my email and to send messages that Pine has handed over
to 'sendmail', when I go online.

  My scripts using 'fetchmail' to download my email from the POP server
still work just fine, but the one-liner script I use to flush the
messages queued up in sendmail only works if I run it as 'root' now.
Even making it setuid 'root' doesn't seem to help.

  I can remember a time - back in the Slackware 3.x days - when the
/var/log/messages file (probably /var/adm/messages then) used to be
full of complaints from sendmail about "denismcm doing -bs", which I
thought sounded pretty rude really.  But at least it used to just do
what it was told.

  Just thought this might be relevant to your problem, if in fact
your GUI mailtool is just a front-end to workhorses like 'sendmail'.

  Cheers, Dennis