Re: Very odd 'bash' problem in RH7.1 - What!?!!

There is no rehash for bash. Do you have the same problem with
a different shell, ie try it with tcsh... Could be something in
the environment also, send us the output of the env command. I
seem to remember having a wierd ksh problem something like this
about 3 years ago and it was something in the environment. Can't
remember if this was exactly it or not though but it sounds very
similar.

Another trick I would try is running strace on your current shell
process from another terminal. ie $ strace -p <PID_OF_OTHER_SHELL>
then try the command and see if you can see what might be failing...
you might want to use the -f option if it manages to fork and exec
successfully hitting on the problem in the sub shell.

It is probably obvious but I can't think of anything else right now,
give that a try to start.

Tom.

--
Thomas O'Dowd. - Nooping - http://nooper.com