Re: Web forms and Japanese

>>> we made an anketo that I want to put on the web. Should
>>> I be specifying any encoding at the top of my HTML? The page
>>> is in ISO-2022...

Jim Breen:

> Well, you should state that in a <meta http ... charset=...>
> line.

Or the http header itself, for which "<meta http-equiv . . . >" is a
surrogate, no? An advantage of using the http header is that you thereby
avoid triggering the infamous "Netscape burp" (Netscape 4.x starts

> About 85% of Japanese WWW sites don't bother to state the coding

Moreover, a remarkable percentage of the 15% use the odd name "x-sjis"
to specify Shift-JIS.