Re: firewalling behind NAT?

On Tue, May 22, 2001 at 09:36:28AM +0900, Rod Holmes wrote:

> >Back to the other question though, is there any reason that I would need
> >a firewall behind NAT (apart from the geek factor)? And if so, how does it
> >work, ie how do they come through NAT from the outside to attack my machine?
>
> FWIW...I'm behind a NAT (gol/e-access adsl router/modem). I wanted one of
> my programmers in Canada to be able to access my LAN. He did all he could
> to crack the system (from what I understand, he knows a fair amount about
> such techniques) and gave up after several days of trying.
>
> I have no idea if this will help reduce your paranoia, but maybe...
>
> In my case, I wish someone COULD get through. GOL and E-access say it's not
> possible to change this, it's a hardware issue.

Rod, not sure but I think you can setup a port redirect on your ADSL router
to a machine on your LAN. Like 22/ssh for example. I haven't played with it
but it should be possible, me thinks. Been meaning to try it out. I'll
let you know if it works.

Tom.
--
Thomas O'Dowd. - Nooping - http://nooper.com