Re: Samba on 7.1 not working :(

>In Redhat7.1 (under some install options) all well-known ports are
>closed by ipchains.  I wonder whether this also applies to Redhat7.

Thnaks but I found the problem. It's my own lack of knowledge about Samba. I
still can't understand the relationship between Samba users and users on the
Linux machine.

The fix was simply to add a user with the same name as the machine (or is it
user) that was trying to connect to the samba server. I have no idea why
that was needed though! Why couldn't samba just ask me for a user name and
password? Why did it have to already exist before Samba would let me connect
to a public share?

I'm going to thrash my machine and re-install 7.1 to see if I can install
Samba and get it working again without any problems.

But in the meantime if someone would be nice enough to explain to me the
relationship between your user name (or machine name?) for the win2k client
and the corresponding name on the Samba server Linux machine I would gladly
offer a beer at the next nomikai!

Jc