RE: Cisco 2611 as a firewall?

configuring BASIC routing on a linux box isn't hard.  but ... 35 routers?
they're probably doing something interesting... OSPF? BGP?  have you tried
setting up gated on linux?  go take a look *evil grin*

As far as linux boxes failing - I'm not really saying that it's the OS
itself that would fail, I was pointing more at hard drives.  Cisco routers
have a FLASH filesystem, all solid state, no spinning hard disk to fail.
Same with PIX firewalls.

as for needing a physician's supervision to configure a Cisco - they're
cake.  even a PIX firewall can be put up and running in about 6 commands.
(wouldn't be very useful with the 6-command configuration, but.. )  a router
is really easy.  all the networking stuff is right there in front of you.  I
can show you a sample configuration from one of the routers here in the Taos
lab if you like.

Cisco's CLI is super easy to deal with as well.  Yeah, really, a
user-friendly CLI, imagine that :)

now excuse me, I'm going to drive home now and play with Snort a
little....I'm becoming somewhat of a security nazi, at least WRT my own
systems.  Trying to lock down everythign as tight as possible, and I wanna
know if people are doing evilbad things to me...

Scott M. Stone <sstone@example.com>
Senior Technical Consultant - UNIX and Networking
Taos, the Sysadmin Company - Santa Clara, CA