Re: Boot Sector

Robert Martens wrote:

[lilo & linux boot sector]
I assume with "first sector of my secondary HDD" you mean the Master Boot
Record, which is the first sector of /dev/hdb.
The first sector of /dev/hdb2 would be the first sector of the 2nd partition,
where you obviously did not install lilo, because you always get a blank file.
Ext2 partitions don't have a boot sector by default, so it's normal the file
is just filled with zeroes.

IIRC you want to use the Windows 2000 Boot Manager to boot linux, right ?
So you will need to extract the LILO boot sector.
A good idea IMHO would be to tell lilo to install itself into /dev/hdb2
and then extract the first sector.
For this you have to change the line

boot = somedevice
boot = /dev/hdb2

in /etc/lilo.conf and then run lilo.
After that the lilo boot sector should be on /dev/hdb2 and you can extract it
with dd.

--
Tobias
nya~ni ?