Re: Tokyo high-speed access

Jonathan Byrne <jq@example.com> wrote:
> Stephen Lee (sl@example.com) wrote:
> > Is that a inherent limitation of the Flet's/OCN networks or simply that
> > ISPs are allocating less upstream bandwidth per Flet's/OCN user?
>
> That's an inherent limitation of Flet's and OCN.  Neither
> Flet's nor OCN are dedicated 64 or 128 kbps services.  Rather,
> the max. capacity of the point-to-point link is 64 or 128,
> but there is no service level agreement on it
> [snip]

I do not agree that is an 'inherent limitation'.  To me, an 'inherent
limitation' is something like not being able to get, say, 100kbps
throughput with an analog modem; the technology doesn't allow it.

As far as I know, there's no technical reason that an ISP cannot offer SLA
on Flet's ISDN (not sure about OCN).

Besides, we are comparing INS64 dial-up with Flet's ISDN here, and the
ISPs I've used certainly did/does not offer any SLA on INS64 dial-up.  All
I get is 64kbps to the ISP and unknown bandwidth from there.

I can accept your experience that Flet's ISDN is slower than INS64.  Though
I have not personally verified it, it seems to make economical sense to me.
But I would suspect that is due more to economical reasons rather than
technical.

Stephen