Something odd in 2.4.3-ac9

OK I did the ac9 patch to my 2.4.3 source tree, and then tried to build in
FreeS/WAN ipsec support.  It failed, complaining that struct sk_buff no
longer contains the "used" member.  Sure enough, the patch removes this from
the struct, and removes all references to it in the main source tree.

The Ipsec stuff, however, seems to want to use it.

My questions are:

1) Why would Alan have done this?
2) Does anyone know what this part of sk_buff is generally used for?  ie, is
it just for accounting purposes or is there some kernel-level function that
may depend on it, which I risk breaking by simply modifying the ipsec driver
source to not deal with?