Re: ADSL: successfull setup

>> From: "Jean-Christian Imbeault" <jean_christian@example.com>
>> This is where my gripe is. I can never get those speeds. GOL advertises
>> "Speeds of up to 1.5Mbps downstream and 512Kbps upstream are possible". From
>> your results you are only getting about 10% of what the maximum should be.
>> (assuming 150KBps means 150kilobits/sec.)
>>
>> I have run my own speed tests using the tools at the following web-page and
>> here are some results.
>>
>> http://bandwidthplace.com/speedtest/
[snip]

Remember that with ADSL and CAble modems you are only hiring a fast link
between you and the upstream router. The actual speed you get depends on
the available bandwidth between you and the site you are loading from. To
be more precise, it is the available bandwidth on the *most* restricted
link on the path. I am 22 hops away from bandwidthplace.com, so I would
not expect the effective speed to be very much.

A better test of your ADSL rig is an ftp site just upstream. In
Australia my cable modem supplier has some ftp servers on its intranet,
and the sepped from them are terrific.

>> This last site also lets you see the results of other people in the ne.jp
>> domain (http://www.dslreports.com/archive). From those results you can see
>> that gol/eaccess is actually pretty bad. It looks like Tokyo Metallic or
>> catv are the best giving about 2-3 times the speed of eacess/gol.

Be very careful with statements like these. I really doubt if you have
the network tools to reach such conclusions.

Jim
--
Jim Breen  [jwb@example.com  http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/]
Visiting Professor, Institute for the Study of Languages and Cultures of