Re: Linux magaxines

Sorry for very slow-follow.

From: "Jean-Christian Imbeault" <jean_christian@example.com>
Subject: Linux magaxines
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 01:43:49 -0000

> I know this is a bit general but what Linux magazines would you recommend
> for the following categories:
>
> - general Linux stuff
> - sysadmin
> - networks

There used be theree magazines whose name contain "linux".
They are Linux Journal, Linux Magazine and Maximum Linux.
Linux Journal is the oldest, and MaximumLinux is gone.

You can check the contents at http://www.linuxmagazine.com/ and
http://www.linuxjournal.com.

For general (Unix) system administration, there is a magazine called
SysAdmin.

There is also a magazine called open, which boasts "Linux and Open
Source for e-Business". It contains not-so-technical linux-related articles.

> Also, what would be the cheapest way for me to get them. I find the prices
> for foreign magazines in Tokyo bookstores to be *very* prohibitive. I've
> often found myself wanting to buy a Linux magazine here but always get
> turned off by the price.

Cheapest way is to subscribe directly. For example, 12 issue of Linux
Journal for subscription from Japan is $62.

If you just want to check, go to TowerBooks. It's a book section of
Tower Records.

TowerBooks in Shibuya has a wide variety of computer magazines.
I saw Linux Journal, Linux Magazine, Maximum Linux, SysAdmin,
Dr. Dobb's, open, 2600...

The map is here,
http://www.towerrecords.co.jp/TOWER/pro.nsf/Search_1/55?OpenDocument

TowerBooks in Shinjuku has a not-bad selection of general magazines,
but has few computer magazines.  Last Saturday, I saw Linux Magazine,
Maximum Linux, open. I got "open" at 990yen.

The map is here,
http://www.towerrecords.co.jp/TOWER/pro.nsf/Search_1/03?OpenDocument

In Akihabara, a computer shop called Amulet sells Linux Journal.
I remember it is sold under 1000yen.