rsync question

I've installed and started rsync to synchronize two web servers.

However I am having some trouble getting the proper syntax down. I've tried
the following command:

rsync -avzr --delete home/httpd/html 10.0.1.53:/home/httpd/html

But find that this causes all the files to be deleted and then uploaded
again. If I remove the --delete option I find that all the files are
uploaded, even ones that already exist on the destination server.

However if I add a trailing /* and / to the dir names I have no problems, as
in:

rsync -avzr --delete home/httpd/html/* 10.0.1.53:/home/httpd/html/

Can someone enlighten me on the proper usage of trailing slashes, and * in
rsync commands?

Jc