Re: [despammed] Re: Linux-to-Linux copying?

On Wed, Mar 21, 2001 at 12:55:12PM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> doing things like s/int/size_t/ for loop indexes, array sizes, and array
> offsets

Oh dear God.  How long did said developer stay breathing?

Yeah, it's a good idea to fix the assumption that sizeof(int) == 4, but
it's really important to evaluate the possible impact of such a change
before committing it ...

> Theo has several on his plate simultaneously.

At least Theo has left xf86 more or less alone.  There's a guy that seems
to be in both the NetBSD and OpenBSD camps that handles the problems there.

> Unless you can see real bugs in the OpenSSH and Theo won't fix them.  Right,
> Chris?

Yep.  OpenSSH's biggest problem is ideological -- they hacked protocol v2
support into the v1 tree.  To do this properly requires a rewrite (which is
what happened with real SSH, which is the approach taken with FreSSH, etc).
They won't do this.

Further, protocol v1 is icky and needs to die.  As long as openssh is out there,
it won't.

> Aside to Chris: Hey - we all missed that one: "Security Through
> Obscurity." -> OXYMORONS.  (Yeah, I know, not two words.  Tough ... a
> foolish consistency ...!)

Easy fix: Obscure Security.

> This is a reason why TeX is so robust IMHO.

... its version number is PI to how many places?  Five?

-- Chris