Re: DNS woes

On Thu, Mar 08, 2001 at 07:43:24AM -0000, Jean-Christian Imbeault wrote:

> I would be happy to hear your views on why DNS is good.

My views?  The question is akin to asking why oxygen is good[1].

A complete answer would take a very long time to write.  The short answer:
damned near every network-aware app depends on valid forward and/or
reverse lookups.

> I guess I forgot to mention that it's not my nameserver but that I use my
> ISP's.

Use a local nameserver that forwards non-local zone queries to your ISP
nameserver.

Consider obtaining a copy of the cricket book (O'Reilly's "DNS and BIND").

-- Chris

[1] Or "why is nuclear power good?", or "why don't beer and wine mix?".