linux only with linux?

Hello everybody!!

I want to try to install Linux without any distribution. Only taking the
things that I need in any moment.
I know that I need some other machine with linux to compile the kernel, but
if I want to make a partition and to format from a non Linux or Unix SO, can
I do it with some utilities from other OS, like MSDOS?
After that I really don't know how can I start :( I maybe will try to copy
the kernel inmage in the partition and to install the Lilo from other
computer in a floppy putting the parameters of the target computer.
After that I need a shell to make directories or use some variables.
I really don't know but I want to do that!
I'm feeling that I'm walking in a dark path and at every step that I do,
appear a little more of light :)

So if someone can, illuminate me please!

Thankyou in advance.

Pietro.