Re: Recommended Video Capture Card

Venkatesh Raghavan writes:
 > Didn't know that wintv-pvr has a bt878 chip. Am I right in understanding
 > that for the moment I can use it just like the old WinTV card expect for
 > the kfir chip features. For capture and software encoding, I plan to use

Yes, you should be able to, although I heard that some people had
problems to get the sound going. You should check out the video4linux
mailing list on redhat.com. Since my brother has the card in his
computer, I haven't tried it myself and he hasn't done much with it
yet. We are still waiting on some information from conexant.

 > MainActor. If wintv-pvr set-up is going to be tricky, may be I will
 > consider
 > I0-Data GV-BCTV3 that appears on the supported hardware list and locally
 > available. Any suggestions?

If you only need the bt8x8 features and you can get a cheap card that
is known to work, it would probably be better. The pvr will probably
get cheaper and it could still be some time until the drivers work.

 > About the mailing list on mpeg2, is there an archive somewhere?

 > > We are currently working on drivers for the wintv-pvr which uses 2
 > > chips that are already supported under linux (kfir and bt878) and we
 > > will hopefully get some information from conexant (they build the
 > > bt878 (well now cn878) chips) to speed up the process. There are is
 > > also a sourceforge project that wants to write drivers for the
 > > wintv-pvr.
 >
 > Could not locate the wintv-pvr on SourceForge. Will look forward
 > to your driver

It's at http://pvr.sourceforge.net

Marcus

Dr. Marcus Metzler