Re: about ADSL

Uva Coder wrote:

> > What if the DSL-Modem uses PPPoE encapsulation ?
>
> PPPoE may protect against some DOS attacks, but is still vulnerable.
> See RFC2515 Section 9 Security Concerns for more info. You can
> find the RFC at http://ww.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2516.html .

Well, I didn't mean it that way I think.
Basically my PCs are connected to a switch, as well as the DSL Modem.
The Modem uses PPPoE encapsulation for the Internet Connection.
So AFAIK it should not be possible to "Break out" of the P2P-Connection
between Router and Modem.
The router has one Network card and is acting as a firewall (basically
allowing all outgoing traffic from local net to ppp0 but not allowing
incoming connections from ppp0)

The Security Notes in the RFC seem to concern only DOS-Attacks from me to
the Access Concentrator...

I meant whether it is possible to Somehow attacking one of my PCs directly
(circumventing the firewall, because the Modem is physically connected
to all other PCs via the switch).

-- Tobias