Re: Sendmail configuration question

On Thu, Feb 15, 2001 at 11:50:05AM +0900, A.Sajjad Zaidi wrote:
> > > And its very inconvenient to switch to another mailer at this point, so
> > > no use recommending qmail, exim etc.
> >
> > Yes and no.  If you have a problem that makes it sufficiently inconvenient
> > to get sendmail running, then the inconvenience of switching to a better
> > mailer might be more useful.

Also note that if you are using it just to send mail, it could
coexist with your existing MTA.  (Although I would argue that
replacing Sendmail with something like Exim or Postfix is a
good thing to be doing anyway.)

> Youre right about that. I did get exim working once, so how is that for this
> kind of problem?

As one of the local Exim evangelists, I'd have to say "great." :-)

The configuration file is in readable form and the
documentation is quite good.  There are a number of
configuration file and command line options that will allow you
to control the timing of the queuing, routing, and delivery of
mail. (In particular, see the sections of Exim's spec.txt
describing -odq* options for a synopsis.  And then ask Darren
and me for varying viewpoints about which is best. :-)  Also
don't miss the split_spool_directory option for keeping the
size of any one directory within reason.