Re: Sendmail configuration question

A Sajjad Zaidi <sajjad@example.com> writes in tlug@example.com:

> This question goes to all you sendmail gurus. If you can get through
> the first ten lines of sendmail.cf without passing out, i consider
> you a guru, so there should be plenty out there.

There are easier ways of configuring sendmail than fiddling with
sendmail.cf.  I recommend using only the m4 macros and building your
sendmail.cf file that way.  Start with the file tcpproto.mc in the
sendmail sources (it's installed into /usr/lib/sendmail-cf/cf in Red
Hat-derived RPMs) and fiddle with it.

> By default sendmail forks for every message and if hundreds or thousands
> of messages need to be sent out at the same time, this causes the system
> to run out of resources.

It sounds like you need a SPAM mailer.  I recommend something like
bulkmail or the equivalent.  It's more an MUA than an MTA so it
coexists with sendmail.  Or at least it did the last time I looked
at it.