Re: Keyboard lockup problem

On Thu, Feb 08, 2001 at 03:26:54PM +0900, Jim Breen wrote:
> >> The problem is that when I boot, everything seems fine until I get to
> >> the initial login prompt, and at that stage the keyboard seems to be
> >> disconnected. I have to do a power-cycle to get it going again.
>
> Appears to be fixed. The change I made was to remove "gpm" from the
> startup. Probably an IRQ conflict. (I wish they wouldn't start it by
> default. I never use it, and this is not the first time it's caused me a
> problem.)

FWIW, I had the exact same problem with my Toshiba Satellite 4000CDS when I
stuck Red Hat 6.0 on it. See <http://www.shimpei.org/laptop/#keyboard>. I
haven't re-encountered the problem recently, even with out-of-the-box
distro setups, though, so it's probably not the exact same IRQ conflict.
BTW, if you're dying to get gpm to work, try initializing it after
everything else--i.e., rename the boot script link to S99gpm, or run the
script manually after reaching a root shell prompt. I bet it'll work just
fine, if your problem is anything like mine.

--
Shimpei Yamashita                               http://www.shimpei.org/