Next question...

Well, now that X is working nicely, the keyboard no longer vanishes, and
I have postponed the USB mouse issue sine die, the next problem I moved
to was the internal Ethernet card. I had originally set it to DHCP,
and during bootup it hung for a while and failed that interface before
going on and completing. As this place has a small and usually empty
pool of DHCPed IP addresses, I used linuxconf to put its dedicated IP
address and all the other DNS/default_route/etc. details in.

Next boot, it whipped past the Ethernet set up with an "[OK]", and
stopped short at the PCMCIA configuration, where it proceeded to hang...
forever.

I have patched around it by changing the PCMCIA service to manual start
but it would be nice to have it working. Has anyone got a suggestion as
to what is happening and how to get around it?

After this, the sound card, maybe the fan-control utility, and of course
the USB mouse, however that seems like it needs a new kernel. Then I can
start on the serious stuff like the applications.....

Cheers

Jim
--
Jim Breen  [jwb@example.com  http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/]
Visiting Professor, Institute for the Study of Languages and Cultures of