Re: Three questions

On Wed, Feb 07, 2001 at 05:48:33PM +0900, Christopher SEKIYA wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 07, 2001 at 12:27:08AM +0900, Shimpei Yamashita wrote:
>
> > FWIW, I have 256MB of swap against 96MB of physical memory on a box running
> > 2.2.16. I haven't really seen any performance degredation due to swap,
> > although I also haven't done any control testing on this.
>
> Yeah?  What was your swap high-water mark?

I don't know exactly, since I didn't have resource meters running at
the time. It was eating up about 180MB of swap when I ran free(1).

Now, obviously, hitting swap does slow the machine down quite a bit. I
should have said "...any performance degredation due to having too much
swap," based on my experience with the same machine configured with
smaller swap space.

OTOH, now that I think about it, it may also have something to do with the
fact that the hard disk in the current machine is quite a bit faster than
the old one. I should probably shut my mouth until I get some more
scientific results one way or the other....

--
Shimpei Yamashita                               http://www.shimpei.org/