Re: Three questions

    Stephen> Gateway definitely has laptops with American English
    Stephen> keyboards, and can get others in a couple of
    Stephen> weeks--Sometimes they do have to order the English
    Stephen> models, but it's usually within two weeks.

Wasn't so last year, at least that 's what they told me.  'course,
that was "bust-yer-budget rush" (late January), when Gateway doesn't
have to care because they were (?) the only ones who would deliver a
hanko'd mitsumori-sho over the web.

    Stephen> Has anyone set up Linux on a recent Gateway laptop?

Yep, about to do it again, maybe, although NetBSD is lookin' real
attractive.  But that's _Linux the kernel_, plus the absolute
necessities (XEmacs, and XEmacs, and, yeh, XEmacs, and Python).  No
sound or anything like that (and I don't miss it).

    Stephen> I've heard some complaints about the "Western"
    Stephen> Toshibas--several people bought them last year after a
    Stephen> presentation at Tokyo PC, and it seems they were less
    Stephen> than satisfied, and the price for things like the CDROM
    Stephen> drives really annoyed people.

Same old Toshiba, haven't changed in 10 years.