RE: Dell & Linux: any problems ?

On 28-Jan-2001 Michael Engel wrote:
> I hope you survived last weekend's snow chaos (first time in 7 years here in
> Chiba that there was so much snow).
>
> Does anybody use a Dell computer with Linux OS ?
> http://www.dell.com/jp/jpn/dhs/products/spec_dimen_900_desktops.htm

I use an Optiplex GX1p (450 MHz P III). The on-board video is an ATI Rage Pro
(or something like that), which works with X but is not great. The on-board
sound chip is a Crystal cs4236 and gives a little click before each sound is
played -- very annoying. I can't play more than 1 song on audio CDs -- it just
stops. I sometimes get CD read/seek error on data CDs as well. I've tried other
CD players with the same result: it appears to be a controller problem. The
motherboard has a 440BX/ZX chip set and the IDE controller is
 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82371AB PIIX4 IDE (rev 01)

Other than that, I've had no problems with the on-board ethernet controller
(3c905B Cyclone) or any other component.
Stuart Luppescu         -=-=-  University of Chicago
$(B:MJ8$HCRF`H~$NIc(B        -=-=-  s-luppescu@example.com
http://www.consortium-chicago.org/people/sl.html
http://musuko.uchicago.edu/pubkey.asc for PGP Public Key
ICQ #21172047  AIM: psycho7070
Political history is far too criminal a subject to be a fit thing to
teach children.
                -- W.H. Auden