Re: ramen worm

On 22-Jan-2001 Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>     Stuart> Yeah, but I don't run an HTTP server on my machine, and
>     Stuart> ftp is easier to set up than apache.
>
> Hm?  All I had to do was edit one line in srm.conf, and that was a
> Debian bug.

OK. Maybe I'll try it. I do need a way to publish my public key, now that
they've taken my personal web page away, and I'd prefer not to run a finger
server, as I am now.

> Anyway, if you choose FTP rather than HTTP, I don't have a problem
> with that.  We're talking primarily about default initial
> installations, where (in the typical setup) everything gets enabled.
[Snip]
> Because I _might_ use it, and I just ordered the "Happy Meal."  Which
> is the case in question; we're talking about initial installation,
> when people often pick something like "network server" so they can
> offer SMB shares to the Windose boxes on their LAN :-(.
[Snip]

All your points are well taken, Stephen. We agree that the ``network server''
install option should be done away with conscious choices of what services to
install and start.
Stuart Luppescu         -=-=-  University of Chicago
$(B:MJ8$HCRF`H~$NIc(B        -=-=-  s-luppescu@example.com
http://www.consortium-chicago.org/people/sl.html
Finger sl70@example.com forPGP Public Key
ICQ #21172047  AIM: psycho7070
Mate, this parrot wouldn't VOOM if you put four million volts through it!
                -- Monty Python