Re: DSL in Tokyo (again)

>One month on, I'm wondering if you (or anyone) got your DSL setup?
>I'm thinking too of subscribing, what is the service quality like? Do you
>really get super fast downloads, or are the ISP's being overloaded with new
>high bandwidth users?

Funny you should ask...

I've been calling GOL fairly regularly, trying to expedite my application.
The first hurdle was NTT didn't like my address written in romanji--had to
be kanji. That held things up for a day or two.

I called GOL on Wed asking what the status is, and it took them until
Friday to get back to me--they claim that they have only one
English-speaking contact at eAccess and she doesn't always reply quickly.
Also, they said that they have a database from eAccess that tells the
status of an application, but they can never get it to work and end up
having to contact the same unreliable person at eAccess.

After waiting three days for an answer, they finally told me that my
application is now in the hands of NTT, which has to check my phone line to
see if it can accept DSL...no prospective date when NTT might decide to do
the check.

>eAccess certainly looks attractive, GOL currently have a special on where
>they waiver certain setup fees :-)

I just hope it all comes through!

I'll let you know if and/or when it comes through or not.

Later,
Rod

Rod Holmes
Head Trainer - AppComm