Re: locale

David Eduardo Gomez Noguera <davidgn@example.com> writes:

> > Try here:
> >
> > http://www.linuxi18n.org/locales/
> >

> I though the locales were my problem.
> but it seems it isnt. I read questionmark's where i should read kanji. Any idea?
> It happens both in a x-terminal and in gjiten (in the preferences and the kanji info window).
>
> when i use cat or more to browse through ls or the sources of gjiten, everything seems ok.
> I use the ja_JP locale that is on http://www.linuxi18n.org/locales/
>
> I have RedHat 7.0 ja installed here, over a RH 6.2 en.
>
> Thank you again, and bye and merry christmas!

Your problem in xterm will be fixed if you upgrade to the alpha test
version of the GNU fileutils:

    ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/fileutils-4.0.32.tar.gz

The problem that question marks appear instead of Japanese filenames
happens if the stable, released version of the GNU fileutils is used
together with Glibc 2.2 (in your case of RedHat 7 it is actually not
yet Glibc 2.2 but a prerelease snapshot thereof, but I think that
doesn't matter here).

The new fileutils are supposed to work with multibyte locales.

From my own experience I can say that they fix at least the problem
with the question marks in the Japanese filenames.

With the old fileutils you can use

    ls --show-control-chars

as a workaround.

--