available

>>>>> "B0Ti" == B0Ti  <9915104t@example.com> writes:

    B0Ti> How can I update /var/lib/dpkg/available automatically?
    B0Ti> dpkg --update-avail needs a packages file.  Do I have to
    B0Ti> download this manually, or is there some other more
    B0Ti> convenient way (like apt-get update) ?

I'm not sure what you're talking about exactly, but apt-get update
should do what you want.

    B0Ti> Secondly, I can't get xdvi to display Japanese.  I installed
    B0Ti> xdvi-ja also, but it segfaults on dvi files containing
    B0Ti> Japanese.

That sounds more like vanilla xdvi.  Have you tried running xdvi-ja?
I suspect that update-alternatives didn't work right.  (This is a
recurring problem with -ja packages.)

    B0Ti> xdvi.tetex runs, but it displays tons of error messages
    B0Ti> about missing fonts like "! I can't find file `dmjsy10'.",
    B0Ti> though I have this font as dmjsy10.tfm

Probably your /etc/texmf/texmf.cnf doesn't have the right paths in it.
(Another common problem with -ja packages.)  What does kpathsea tell
you about that file?  (kpsewhich dmjsy10.tfm.)