Re: Telnet/ssh connection refused

Venkatesh Raghavan wrote:

> I am having problems in setting up telnet and ssh
> on Linux Mandrake7.2. I get the following message
> when I try to telnet/ssh to localhost (or even with hostname).

> # ssh -l username localhost
> Secure connection to localhost refused.

make sure you have sshd running or properly set up via inetd (or xinetd in
mdk7.2).
You should also take a look at your logs (visible also on tty12), it might
give you more details what's going on.

> I tried to edit my etc/hosts.allow to allow telnet
> connection for my domain. My /etc/hosts.allow looks
> something like

Start out with empty hosts.allow and hosts.deny files, and see if
everything works. From there on, you can add your rules.

But once you enable ssh, why do you need telnet ?

B0Ti.