Re: RedHat Install on Vaio Z505CR/K fails - HELP!

Hello all,

  Many thanks again to everyone for their helpful suggestions. It
turned out that I just had to ensure that linux was booting within
the 1024 cylinder limit, which I did by making a separate boot
partition as the first partition. Sorry if I seemed a litte
frantic (I was!). The setup was configured to boot off the HDD,
and the linux partition was active, it was just a problem with
the placement of the boot partition, apparently. I also renabled
the LBA - it sounded like this was a good idea for big disks? -
anyway it seems to work OK.
  Now Linux boots, or at least almost does. It now freeezes on
initialization of the USB interface, which may be due to the
problem David Beutel mentioned about USB legacy mode, which is
supported in the BIOS. Anyway, I'm hoping I can work around
this.
  Thanks also to David for mentioning ACPI. I had never heard
of this, but it does seem to be what my Z505CR/K uses, and it
is supported in Linux, but only in kernel 2.4 test releases. I
will fight that battle later.
  David also mentioned:
> Does your manufacturer claim that your model supports
> any other operating systems?

Ha,ha,ha! My (limited) experience has been that most vendors, and
many salespeople, don't want to know about any other operating systems,
especially Linux. I understand this situation is changing fairly
quickly in the US, but probably not in Japan? (certainly nothing
about Linux support in the doco I've seen).
  Thanks again everyone.

Phil R Cummins                                 cummins@example.com
Frontier Research for Subduction Dynamics  tel(i/d):81/0-468-67-3393
JAMSTEC, 2-15 Natsushima-cho               fax(i/d):81/0-468-67-3409
Yokosuka 237-0061, Japan