Re: *BSD (another question, again)

YAMAGATA Hiroo (hiyori13@example.com) wrote:

YAMAGATA> Also if you want to talk about the Japanese situation, Japan probably has a
YAMAGATA> larger
YAMAGATA> proportion of FreeBSD users because Linux didn't run on NEC's PC98
YAMAGATA> platform until PlamoLinux came along (and that's rather a minor distro...)

Just a trivia note, but the first Linux for PC98 I saw was a beta (alpha?)
version on a CD sent to someone at TLUG from someone at the Kyoto University
Microcomputer club.  I don't know if it actually worked or not, not
having a PC98 to try it on.  This was in 1998, probably summer.  Maybe some
of those same people went on to work with Plamo Linux?

Jonathan

YAMAGATA>
YAMAGATA> Next Technical Meeting: November 11 (Sat) 13:30  Place: LinuxProbe Hall
YAMAGATA> Next Nomikai (and Bonenkai!): December 15 (Fri)
YAMAGATA> more info: http://www.tlug.gr.jp           Sponsor: Global Online Japan
YAMAGATA>