Re: LWN on the TL IPO

On Thu, Nov 02, 2000 at 06:34:19PM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>     cs> Fascinating things in here regarding Cliff & Iris' departure:
>     cs> http://www.lwn.net/2000/features/Turbolinux-ipo.php3
>
> What's even more interesting is that the mere attempt to look at that
> URL took Mozilla (M18, Debian try #3) to the mat.  Ippon!

Works fine with my hand-compiled copy of M18. (Yes, I really do enjoy hearing
the computer thrash its hard disk as I try to sleep....) Of course, I also took
the liberty to disable mail and news and Java, and compiled the whole thing
-O3. There was a surprising amount of speed-up just by turning on
optimization--it made the speed almost tolerable on a PII/233 laptop with
96MB of memory. That is to say, it's almost as fast as 4.75 in some things,
such as HTML rendering and MTBsegfaults. The menu bar is still agonizingly
slow--it's unusable without turning on at least -O2.

And yes, I tried Galeon. Couldn't get it to link, though.

--
Shimpei Yamashita                               http://www.shimpei.org/