Help with compiling bonobo please.

Hi Folks

I just downloaded bonobo-0.26 and am having problems installing it.  I
unpacked it and ran the configure script and got the error

[snip]
checking for msgfmt... /usr/bin/msgfmt
checking for dcgettext... yes
checking for gmsgfmt... /usr/bin/msgfmt
checking for xgettext... /usr/bin/xgettext
checking for catalogs to be installed...  ca da de el en_GB es fi fr
ga gl hu it ja ko nl no pl pt_BR ro ru sl sv uk wa tr
checking ORBit version... 0.5.1
configure: error: ORBit 0.5.3 or later required   -(1)
[snip]

seeing this error I then proceeded to download version 5.4 of ORBit,
I unpacked this, compiled it and then ran make install.  A swag of new
files ended up in /usr/local in various places.  I then ran  the
configure script for bonobo again only to get the same error (1)
again.  It seems that the bonobo configure script is looking at

/usr/bin/orbit-config

to get the version number of bonobo.  I Am not sure what to do as I
don't want to destroy my system.  In the configure script for ORBit I
see

antony$more /tmp/orbit/ORBit-0.5.4/configure
#! /bin/sh

# Guess values for system-dependent variables and create Makefiles.
# Generated automatically using autoconf version 2.13
# Copyright (C) 1992, 93, 94, 95, 96 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
#
# This configure script is free software; the Free Software Foundation
# gives unlimited permission to copy, distribute and modify it.

# Defaults:
ac_help=
ac_default_prefix=/usr/local
[snip]

and for the bonobo configure script

antony$ more /tmp/bon/bonobo-0.26/configure
#! /bin/sh

# Guess values for system-dependent variables and create Makefiles.
# Generated automatically using autoconf version 2.13
# Copyright (C) 1992, 93, 94, 95, 96 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
#
# This configure script is free software; the Free Software Foundation
# gives unlimited permission to copy, distribute and modify it.

# Defaults:
ac_help=
ac_default_prefix=/usr/local
# Any additions from configure.in:
[snip}

Should I

1.  Change the variable ac_default_prefix in both scripts to /usr/bin
or
2.  Change the variable ac_default_prefix in
/tmp/bon/bonobo-0.26/configure
or
3.  Something else since this will break something.

Can someone please give me a few pointers at what I should do to get
bonobo compiled.

Cheers

Tony