Re: NTT-ME was (Re: Metallic DSL in Tokyo)

On 26-Oct-2000 Jonathan Byrne wrote:
> The bottom line, then is that yes, you could get someone somewhere
> to do DNS for whatever domain you wanted to run on your consumer
> DSL connection (note that their AUP probably gives them the right
> to terminate your service if they catch you), but reverse DNS would
> not exist for you (can cause problems sometimes).  You wouldn't
> want to run your own DNS server on that DSL connection, though, since
> more than anything else in your domain, the DNS server needs to be
> stable - it should always be available and it's IP should never
> change.  That's not guaranteed unless you have global IP DSL.
> Even then, I would put my DNS elsewhere, I think.  Or at the least,
> get someone to do secondary DNS for me.  Preferably geographically
> separated enough that no natural disaster this side of an asteroid
> could take out both my primary and secondary DNS.

Very interesting. Actually, I do need reverse DNS because it causes trouble
when I try to send Japanese mail with gnus directly from my machine, and the
recipient tries to lookup my IP. When it fails, the mail is rejected. (You
would think my ISP would do this, but noooooo.) I tried some kind of
masquerading in my sendmail setup but it never worked very well -- I kept
getting data format error (or somesuch) messages. See, if my ISP was really
competent, this wouldn't be necessary. I guess that's why they went out of
business.
Stuart Luppescu         -=-=-  University of Chicago
$(B:MJ8$HCRF`H~$NIc(B        -=-=-  s-luppescu@example.com
http://www.consortium-chicago.org/people/sl/sl.html
PGP Public Key: www.consortium-chicago.org/people/sl/pubkey.asc
ICQ #21172047  AIM: psycho7070
"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
- Voltaire