compiling on Solaris vs. Linux

I've never touched a Solaris box, but I just found out I have to go to
Okinawa next week to set up a client's machine. And there's no time to
order the Solaris for Intel CD-ROM from the US so I can set up a practice
machine. Can someone with both Solaris and Linux please tell me if there
are any major difference between compiling software on both platforms? What
compiler does Solaris use? Is GCC installed by default or will I need to
d/l it from www.sunfreeware.com?

Sorry this is way off topic, but hey, I did manage to use the word "Linux"
twice.

Thanks,

Rich