VGA and monitor problem

Dear all,

I am trying to install the Linux Redhat 6.0, and I am facing a problem with
the vga card and with the monitor. They are not listed in the compatiblity
list of drivers and if I select generic or custom for the installation and
try to configure the settings from the manual of the monitor, and then
select probe or X window all i get is a black screen.
What I have done in the end is skip all the screen tests, and finished the
installation but when Linux starts and from the shell mode if i type startx
I receive a black screen and the system blocks.
Any help in giving the right configuration or the driver for the monitor and
the vga card is welcomed.
Monitor type: Gateway 15" EV500.
VGA card: ATI technologies inc. range 128 vr (english).

Regards,

Charles