RE: Open Source

> From: Simon Cozens [mailto:simon@example.com]On Behalf Of Simon Cozens
> > in many cases a distributed open-source approach might be the
> > optimial strategy long term (not to mention giving back to the
> community).
> > In other cases it is not at all viable - for reasons stated earlier.
>
> Poppycock. You have to do all this infrastructure development anyway,
> whether you run your shop open or closed source.
>
> Or do all your closed source projects "manage themselves"?

There are quite a few differences between a small group of developers
working in a geographic region version a loose group of developers
distributed geographically.  It takes much more time and coordination to
make the later work.  That said if you can invest the additional time to
bring together a group of distributed developers and have a common vision -
this is a win-win.

For small short-term projects (I'm thinking of a week), setting up a
distributed project hardly makes sense.