Re: ethner card problem

On Wed, Sep 27, 2000 at 11:59:58AM +0900, Ulrike Schmidt wrote:

> ... I
> finally was successful in recompling kernel and pcmcia-cs, but unfortunately
> cardctl ident has still no product info available.

Hurray!  Remember how you got there.  You will walk that road again,
probably sooner than later.

> I loaded pcnet_cs by
> hand, it is unused. Frank's card was identified by cardctl ident, so I guess
> it is useless to comment anything out in the /etc/pcmcia/config. So I guess
> I will have to bring the card back.

Don't lose faith!  You've done it!  You have only one more tiny bridge to
cross!  When lsmod reports that the card is unused, it just means that the
kernel doesn't see anyone using it.  It does not (necessarily) mean that it
*can't* be used.

To check by hand, you would want to run ifconfig and see if you can store data
to the card.  The "unused" flag report in the lsmod listing should go away
then.  But it's easier to go for the complete solution straight away, since we
know a little something about the card already.

For example, on my machine here, my system currently shows (with everything
working and a net connection up):

*****

vaio:/.commons/home/bennett# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
pcnet_cs                8468   1
8390                    6104   0  [pcnet_cs]
parport_pc              7300   0  (unused)
parport                 7072   0  [parport_pc]
ds                      6536   2  [pcnet_cs]
i82365                 28516   2
pcmcia_core            44448   0  [pcnet_cs ds i82365]
sb                     32820   1
uart401                 6096   1  [sb]
sound                  55404   0  [sb uart401]
soundcore               2372   6  [sb sound]
vaio:/.commons/home/bennett#

*****

I then comment out the listing for the card in /etc/pcmcia/config:

*****

#card "Corega PCC-T Ethernet"
##  version "corega K.K.", "corega EtherII PCC-T"
#  manfid 0xc00f, 0x0000
#  bind "pcnet_cs"

*****

I then remove the card and restart PCMCIA services to be sure that the new
config file will control the card manager:

*****

/etc/init.d/pcmcia stop
/etc/init.d/pcmcia start

*****

I manually install the module for the card:

*****

modprobe pcnet_cs

*****

I now get this listing for lsmod:

*****

vaio:/.commons/home/bennett# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
pcnet_cs                8468   0  (unused)
8390                    6104   0  [pcnet_cs]
ds                      6536   2  [pcnet_cs]
i82365                 28516   2
pcmcia_core            44448   0  [pcnet_cs ds i82365]
parport_pc              7300   0  (unused)
parport                 7072   0  [parport_pc]
sb                     32820   1
uart401                 6096   1  [sb]
sound                  55404   0  [sb uart401]
soundcore               2372   6  [sb sound]
vaio:/.commons/home/bennett#

*****

I'll bet that looks kind of familiar.  If the card is recognized,
then the settings in /etc/pcmcia/network.opts will be applied to
it, and the kernel will recognize it as used when it is inserted.
All you have to do is take the /etc/pcmcia/config text above,
paste it into that file, and uncomment it.  Like this:

*****

card "Corega PCC-T Ethernet"
#  version "corega K.K.", "corega EtherII PCC-T"
  manfid 0xc00f, 0x0000
  bind "pcnet_cs"

*****

(I just tried this with the version info uncommented, and the
card is sometimes recognized incorrectly, and sometimes not
recognized at all; let's take a guess that you have the same
card and that it has the same number recorded in it)

After making that change to the config file, I remove the card, and
again restart the card manager:

*****

/etc/init.d/pcmcia stop
/etc/init.d/pcmcia start

*****

Now I insert the card, and (here, at least) the machine chirps twice.  An
lsmod listing shows:

*****

vaio:/.commons/home/bennett# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
pcnet_cs                8468   1
8390                    6104   0  [pcnet_cs]
ds                      6536   2  [pcnet_cs]
i82365                 28516   2
pcmcia_core            44448   0  [pcnet_cs ds i82365]
parport_pc              7300   0  (unused)
parport                 7072   0  [parport_pc]
sb                     32820   1
uart401                 6096   1  [sb]
sound                  55404   0  [sb uart401]
soundcore               2372   6  [sb sound]
vaio:/.commons/home/bennett#

*****

And not only that, I find that my internet connection is back up, so I can
send this message to the TLUG list :-)

Cheers,
----
-x80