presentation softo [was: MSword reader]

    Shimpei> On a tangentially related topic, maddog was using
    Shimpei> Applix's PowerPoint workalike to do his presentation at
    Shimpei> IBM. I asked him if he had heard of MagicPoint, and he
    Shimpei> said he has, but he has too much legacy presentation
    Shimpei> templates on Applix to switch anytime soon.

Magicpoint basically sucks as a language, though.  Whitespace is
significant in several ways (and unlike Python, it doesn't work for me
even after using mgp for years).  I tried to write an Emacs LISP mode
for it, and basically found it to be too irregular to be worth the
trouble; fundamental mode plus a couple of auxiliary alists to allow
completion is all I could come up with.

There's an XML-based presentation app called Ultrapoint.  It is also
unfortunately GGI-based, which means it is dog-slow and crashes all
over the place on my box.  But XML is the way to go IMO.  An XML2mgp
compiler is on my to-do list, but yeah, well, don't go without sex
waiting for it.

    Shimpei> [1] On an even more tangential note, strings(1) is also
    Shimpei> eminently useless for plucking strings out of compiled
    Shimpei> Visual Basic executables--I guess it must be converting
    Shimpei> everything to UTF-16 internally or something. This ruined
    Shimpei> my plans to use RCS ident to keep tabs on a project last
    Shimpei> year.

Hmm.  Now this sounds interesting.  Exactly what do we need here?