Re: GNU-Linux vs Linux naming [was RE: LAM/MPI Parallel processing]

On Thu, Sep 07, 2000 at 07:54:55PM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
>     Simon> This is what /bin/sync *should* look like, dammit:
>
> Wow, that _is_ disgusting; the docs for GNU sync say that "sync does
> nothing but exercise the kernel call"

So what's this:

 % sync --help
 Usage: sync [OPTION]
 Force changed blocks to disk, update the super block.

   --help      display this help and exit
   --version   output version information and exit

 Report bugs to <bug-fileutils@example.com>.

> but the "author" managed to put his name into the version string.

To be honest, I did omit 46 lines of copyright info and version strings.
But on average, BSD binaries appear to be half the size of GNU equivalents.

> Still, sync is an extreme case.  Programs should be self-documenting.
> (And not by reading source, either.)

Self-documenting without reading the source? Hmm, are you advocating literate
programming, or something like POD or Javadoc?

>     Simon> [1] I'd do it myself but I'm mainly offline due to the UK's
>     Simon> extremely backwards Internet connectivity.
> So you haven't been following the "Beavis is back" thread?

Look. I connect to Cable and Wireless. It doesn't get *much* worse.

Simon

--
10. The Earth quakes and the heavens rattle; the beasts of nature flock
together and the nations of men flock apart; volcanoes usher up heat