Re: user cgi-bin configuration

Uli,

Ahh, the joy of using binary packages. You might be better off just
compiling your own Apache. That's what I normally do.

You should be able to just unpack the apache tarball and
run configure, accepting the defaults (which will put things into
/usr/local/apache, which will not disturb your existing config).
You will need to specify the various suexec parameters when you
run configure, as described in the suEXEC doc.

After that, you can set the UserDir stuff in httpd.conf and you
are ready to go. For the cgi stuff, you can use
	AddHandler cgi-script cgi

That makes Apache execute anything with a .cgi extension as a CGI.
Then users can put CGI programs directly in their public_html directory.

I would give it a try, just 20 minutes for a compile....

Regards,
Jake