RedHat 6.1 and Japanese

    Thomas> found Craig Oda's docs but they are "old" at this stage

Yeah, you really oughta buy his book, you know.  :-)

    Thomas> So I didn't install it. I guess it is just a matter of
    Thomas> downloading the fonts, setting up fontpaths, installing
    Thomas> the Japanese locale and then compiling the kinput and
    Thomas> kanna servers to to work with X and I should be set.

Doesn't Red Hat have a Japanese distro at like redhat.co.jp?  It
shouldn't be too hard to install what you need from there.  For fonts
and stuff like that, you should be able to get a lot of things from
www.turbolinux.co.jp at very little risk of incompatibility.

in the main distro, and what's not there is pretty broken.</p>

You probably want to get the XTT xfs-xtt TrueType fontserver.  I don't
recommend running the XTT X server itself (although IIRC you do get
alpha-channel with it, ie, anti-aliasing), but fortunately you can get
all the benefits by using xfs-xtt.  AFAIK that's pretty hard to get
working right, too, but it would be worth a try.

You could also just install a Japanese distro.  As long as you get
English docs, which most of them do provide, there's almost nothing
that a Japanese distro can break that can't be fixed with LANG=C.