Re: for the GNOME hater in all of us...

    Shimpei> (I realize that a good part of the widgets do have
    Shimpei> explanations in English.  The ones I've had to look up
    Shimpei> all lacked documentation, though.)

How recently have you looked?  I didn't think about how to use the
reference last night, so the content (except for I18N) didn't really
strike me, but it certainly has improved a lot for comprehensiveness
and completeness by its own standard, and that in a few short weeks.

    Shimpei> Sometimes I wonder why I even bother with Linux at
    Shimpei> all. Then I go to work and have Excel blow up in my face,
    Shimpei> and I remember.

Ditch the "pretty face", fire up Emacs (or XEmacs) in TTY mode, and
realize you have lost no computational functionality compared to Linux
with X11 or MS with Windows---and that it will stay up that way until
you decide to upgrade linux or Emacs.

That's another way to remember.

Granted, computers for people who think that a toaster oven is complex
hardware is a worthy goal.  (I'm on another list where everytime this
one guy unplugs his notebook from the ISDN router, when he comes home
and plugs it back in his network deconfigures itself and he posts
asking how to get it back up.  But he's the biggest Linux supporter in
Britain.)  It's even (sometimes) convenient for the rest of us.  But
the fact that GNOME has not (yet) fulfilled all its promise is not a
big deal.  Just as long as the Linux kernel (or any of the *BSDs)
continue running on the latest hardware.