``Built-in'' support for Japanese in Debian 2.2

I read how Debian 2.2, just released a few days ago, features better
internationalization than other distributions. So, I decided to try it out on a
mostly idle laptop I have lying around here.

Oy, such a headache it gave me.

I know the 4400 packages available is a ``feature'' but after 60 minutes of
going through the package list, I wasn't seeing very well, and many, many
packages just flew by in a blur. I'm not sure that I installed everything I
should have. Can anyone advise me on what I HAVE to have to get good Japanese
support on this thing?

Thanks.
Stuart Luppescu         -=-=-  University of Chicago
$(B:MJ8$HCRF`H~$NIc(B        -=-=-  s-luppescu@example.com
http://www.consortium-chicago.org/people/sl/sl.html
PGP Public Key: www.consortium-chicago.org/people/sl/pubkey.asc
ICQ #21172047  AIM: psycho7070
Line Printer paper is strongest at the perforations.