Re: for the GNOME hater in all of us...

shimpei@example.com (lists.tlug):
>I'm starting to get disillusioned with GNOME--both the applications offering

When was the last time you looked? Seriously, it's come a long way in
the past few months. Nautilus is out there now, the Evolution suite is
working beautifully, Gnumeric is there, the GIMP's been there for ages
but has recently had a load of power hacks thrown in. I don't know what
else you want, but it's probably there too. :) And of course, Star
Office will be moving over soon as well.

>and the programming interface

I do not know of a good API for graphical applications. They all suck,
without exception.

>--so I secretly wish they had not done this and encouraged the GNOME
>developers to do even more of the same.

Heh. People throwing large quantities of money at software projects
*occasionally* means they improve. Only occasionally, though.

>On the other hand, GNOME probably *is* a massive improvement over CDE
>or OpenWindows, and

Yuh. It's the worst desktop out there, apart from all the others.

>erstwhile CDE users may not even notice how bloated GNOME is....

One man's bloat is another man's necessity. :) Yes, there are a lot of
libraries involved, and maybe you'd get a slight speedup from having it
all thrown into one library, (although only slight because they things
should remain paged anyway) but that doesn't really encourage
maintainability, code reuse or any of the other accepted Good Things.

--
Given an infinite amount of monkeys an infinite amount of time, an
infinite amount of drafting supplies, and an infinite amount of crack,