apache config

Hi,
it's a question about cgi again but I think the problem lies in my apache
configuration.

I have chosen not to use the ScriptAlias directive in srm.conf and rather
put the cgi anywhere using
"AddHandler cgi-script .cgi"in srm.conf.

Document root is /home/httpd/html/project and when I run cgi located there,
for example
"/home/httpd/html/project/one.cgi" I have no problems.  Yet for
"/home/httpd/html/project/cgi/one.cgi" I cannot open, read or write to the
same files successfully as before.

I did add /home/httpd/html/project/cgi to the list of directories in
access.conf and list "Options ExecCGI"in it's definition.  (and the scripts
run, yet they cannot manipulate files)

Taken from the WWW howto regarding using the ScriptAlias directive for
script directories--
"Do not make your script directories sub-directories of your web page
directories"

And I am wondering, does this apply even if I am using the .cgi handler?  Is
it not possible to put cgi in subdirectories of the document root?
And it's apache 1.3.12-1 on TL server 6.1 nihongo.

I appreciate your help.
THANKS
Beth