G4 internal modem through NTT Mini-v MN128 TA

    Cornelius> The deal is, I can dial-up and sustain the connection
    Cornelius> with no problem whatsoever, but there seems to be no
    Cornelius> data transfer. Pinging works just fine.

Ping _is_ data transfer.  If you can ping a remote host, it's probably
your networking configuration that is hosed, not that the physical
link is impossible to use.

    Cornelius> Netscape claims that it has contacted the host, but I
    Cornelius> get nothing afterwards.

Have you tried telnet, ftp, smtp?  Netscape tries very hard to make
connections even on unreliable media, but sometimes it fails.  When it
does, it's likely to emit misleading messages.

Try setting the debug output on pppd and looking at the logs.

Please send the output of `ifconfig' and `route -n'.  (Some of the
gurus prefer `netstat' but I forget which options they like to use.)