tlug: Thinkpad-keyboard misbehavior

I have keyboard problem with a Thinkpad, on which I am just reinstalling
Debian, I was interrupted for a while, but with my previous install it was the
same problem: when I leave the machine alone for a while the keyboard does not
print anymore what it is supposed to print but additionally prints ^[ to the
letter it should print, for example ^[q instead of just q. If I switch to
another console the input on that console is ok. What could that be or is there
any technical term for this which might assist my hunt for the right manpage or
howto? Did not find anything yet on the Thinkpad pages, but this might be due
to slang challenge.

Thanks,
Uli

Next Technical Meeting: July 8 (Sat)  13:30  Place: LinuxProbe Hall
Next Nomikai meeting: August 18 (Fri) 19:00  Place: TBD