tlug: FWD: Max partition size.

Sorry about the premture mail.  Here's the real thing:

    Uva> I [have a friend who has] have one big external RAID
    Uva> (about 800GB), which I would like to mount in RedHat 6.2.
    Uva> I tried to make one single primary partition for entire
    Uva> 800GB, but it's very strange, maximum size of primary
    Uva> partition created by me is always about 250GB.

~250GB looks like 2^31 sectors to me, ie, the largest int.  I think
it's highly unlikely that Linux can safely manage partitions bigger
than that, as there's just too much code in the kernel and fdisk both
that would need to be unsigned clean, just to reach 500GB.  800GB is
probably out of the question, even on 64-bit processors.  But you
might try it on Alpha or UltraSparc.

I wouldn't bet on it there, though, because there's no reason to
suppose the partition table itself can handle 64-bit ints.

The other possibility would be if you can arrange for the RAID to have
2048-byte sectors.

Next Technical Meeting: July 8 (Sat)  13:30  Place: LinuxProbe Hall
Next Nomikai meeting: August 18 (Fri) 19:00  Place: TBD