tlug: memory locking

I have a little problem writing a c program. Hope someone can help me
out.

Here is the situation:
Using fork() I start up a few processes. These do some calculations then
write the resulting data to memory which is allocated as shared  memory
space. I couldn't figure out a way to efficiently lock this mem space,
so that only one process can update the data in the shared memory at one
time. Because of this I get false results sometimes when running on a
system with more cpus.

I've read the Parallel processing howto, and a few other documents, but
all of what i read so far was linux and i86 specific. I'd like to be
able to run the program under Linux (mac and intel) and Irix (mips i
think). Basically it has to be portable ;)

Hints, rtfm or any other help would be appreciated.

B0Ti.

Next Meeting (w/ YLUG): June 16 (Fri) 19:00 Mizonoguchi Marui Family 12F
Next Technical Meeting: July 8 (Sat)  13:30 Topic: TBA